Adams’ Grammar School recently welcomed HRH The Earl of Wessex to formally open the school’s new music and teaching facilities. Prince Edward has a long association with Adams’ through his links with the Haberdashers Livery Company. The grammar school, with its day and boarding facilities, was founded in 1656 by William Adams, a haberdasher who was born in Newport.
The Prince encouraged pupils to shout and cheer as he unveiled a plaque to mark the occasion and in turn was delighted when pupils performed some Taiko drumming, which has recently been introduced at the school at the suggestion of the Prince after he saw a display in South Korea. Adams’ pupils also recently enjoyed a royal visit of a different kind by the Band of the Royal Marines Commando Training Centre. Pupils were invited to take part in workshops and rehearsals with the Band’s musicians before performing a concert together for the whole school and parents. The day was particularly memorable for one member of the Band, who is a former pupil at Adams’. Chris Beal was very excited to be returning to his old school. It was during his time in the school’s CCF marching band that he developed his enthusiasm for music and was given a helping hand in achieving his ambition to join the Royal Marines.