Selecting a school
by sadfsadfsadf, sdafsadf
A guide to the school application process
- Carry out research into possible schools
- If possible, visit schools at least a year before the proposed entry date
- Complete application form
- Register with school
- Pay deposit/application fee during the year before entry (or earlier)
- Prepare for entrance examinations/tests/interviews
- Sit entrance/scholarship examinations at agreed location
- If possible visit the school for interview during spring and summer term before entry
- Prepare for entry and complete all essential paperwork
- Purchase school uniform and items on clothing list during the summer term or holidays before entry
- Enter school
- Receive school induction at beginning of the autumn term.
School visits – what to look for
- Do the pupils seem happy and purposefully engaged in activity?
- Are staff and pupils talking and working together?
- Are the pupils well mannered and courteous?
- How is discipline maintained?
- How, and with what frequency, does the school communicate with parents?
- How does the school monitor each pupil’s progress?
- What provision is made for pupils with learning difficulties?
- How many pupils are there in each class?
- What emphasis is placed on art, drama, music, sport?
- Are the facilities well maintained?
- Is there a high turnover of staff?
- What is the balance between newly qualified and experienced staff, and the number of specialist teachers (especially in preparatory schools)?
- What pastoral care system is in place?
- What are the school’s policies on bullying and drugs?